World Space Week is that the largest annual space event within the world, demonstrates visible public support for the space program; educates the general public about space activities; and fosters international cooperation in space outreach and education.
World Space Week : History
On December 6, 1999, The United Nations General Assembly by resolution 54/68 declared World Space Week as an annual event celebration to be commemorated between October 4 and 10. the selection of dates was supported recognition of two important dates in space history:
• October 4, 1957: Launch of the primary human-made Earth satellite, Sputnik 1, thus opening the way for space exploration
• October 10, 1967: The signing of the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activites of States within the Exploration and Peaceful Uses of space , including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies.
World Space Week is that the largest annual space event within the world.
Sputnik was the primary human made satellite that was embarked on the space in 1957. it had been launched by Soviet Union . The satellite orbited elliptically within the lower orbits of the world . The batteries died after three weeks and therefore the satellite fell back to the atmosphere. This triggered the space race between USSR and USA that was a neighborhood of the conflict .
Theme 2020 : “Satellites improve life”
2020 World Space Week is devoted to satellites and their broad benefits under the theme “Satellites improve life.” With this theme, the planet Space Week will show the importance of satellites in lifestyle and the way our lives are suffering from satellites like in communications, environmental monitoring, transportation, meteorology , telemedicine, science, and in many other ways.
Significance and Purpose
The major aims of observing the planet Space Week is discussing space outreach and education. People got to be educated about the advantages we are already getting from the space technology. It also encourages more people to urge into the sector , especially the children . a bigger aim is additionally to possess international cooperation in space outreach. Usually, there are tons of activities held by space agencies, planetoriums, astronomy clubs round the world. But this point , the celebrations are going to be virtual. There are usually events lined up all week.
Week aims to
• Reinforce the cooperation and supply unique leverage between countries in space outreach and education.
• Encourage the young generation to cultivate an interest in science, engineering and math.
• Educate people about the advantages of space programs and its influence in their day to day lives.
• Promote the vast benefits of space within the economic development of nations
• Demonstrate public support for space programs
World Space Week Association (WSWA)
The World Space Week Association may be a non-government, non-profit organization, which is supported by national coordinators in over 50 nations. it’s led by an all-volunteer Board of Directors including Buzz Aldrin, Bill Nye, Tom Hanks, Dorin-Dumitru Prunariu, and space leaders from round the world. Its goals are to teach people round the world about the advantages that they receive from space, encourage use of space for sustainable economic development, foster enthusiastic education .
• The Organization work from voluntary contributions and sponsors and it’s a permanent observer of the UN Committee on the Peaceful Uses of space
• In 1980 the Association formed to coordinators of space week from July 16- 24 (Celebration of the moon landing), after UN resolution in 1999 they reformed to world space week association
SPACE India is that the only Regional Coordinator of World Space Week In India. In Kerala, World Space Week is widely known per annum under the auspices of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), and ISRO Inertial Systems Unit (IISU), Thiruvananthapuram, since 2001. During WSW, events and academic programmes with special specialise in Space are organised within and out of doors VSSC, supported the theme declared by UN.